All that matters is you get to marry the love of your life… But you are putting in all this effort for a reception so you want people! Nobody will show up to your wedding if you don’t invite them, so get going on these ASAP! Here’s a few quick steps to get you started.
- Seek Inspiration // My go to inspiration site is of course Pinterest, probably like everyone else… But hey they do have some great inspiration ideas that may kick start you own brilliant design or you may find the exact one you want. Whatever you end up finding there is never any harm in seeking inspiration.
- Find Your Designer // Look around or ask around, find someone who can create the invitation you imagine or who can create a beautiful one on their own. But find them quick! You never know how long the person you want could take creating them.
- Guests + Addresses // I will warn you: this part is extremely time consuming and sometimes a big hassle! Get going on this immediately or you will regret it and may miss some people that you wanted to get an invite to… Whether you create a Facebook event or ask each person GET IT DONE.
- Pack + Play // Putting your invites together can actually be pretty fun. You get to see what they look like and your wedding feels that more real. I would highly recommend gathering friends and family. Not only do you guys get to catch up while doing something fun for you wedding but it will save you A LOT of time. So hang out, make some snacks (not messy ones, you don’t want those beautiful invitations to have food smears), and pack up those invites!
That’s really all I have for you for wedding invitations. It varies with each person and there are a lot more minor things to go into your invites but as you begin these steps everything will come together great 🙂
You’re engaged to your best friend and love of your life and all you want to do is get going on your life together. But you have a short planning period and what feels like a loooooong time to wait. So it’s time to get started on the wedding plans to not only achieve the wedding of your dreams but also to make the time you two have to spend apart go just a little bit quicker.
Here’s a little snippet of the to-do list I created that gave my wedding planning an outline so I didn’t feel like I was completely drowning. Yours may be slightly different but it’s always nice to have a starting point!
- BUDGET // This should be the number one (ahem ahem) on your to-do list. You cannot do anything with your to-do list until you know how much you can spend. You can’t hire, book, or look until you know what you can/want to spend. So look at your budget or talk to your parents and figure out the budget as soon as possible.
- Flights + Hotels // This is obviously not applicable to everyone but if you are planning on getting married out-of-state you will want to get on top of flights and hotels as soon as you possibly can. The longer you wait the more expensive it will get (and it could get booked out and you will be left without anywhere to stay or a form of transportation!).
- Wedding Dress // I almost feel shameful for pushing this to number 3… Almost. But after you have your budget and places to stay you can have loads of fun finding the wedding dress to make you feel absolutely beautiful on your wedding day. So browse Pinterest, google shops and boutiques around you, and just have fun constantly being on the hunt for a dress that screams you.
- Venues // Ceremony and/or reception, get it booked! You have a short engagement and if you’re around the holidays or wedding season the venue you want could go quick. So start the hunt and once you see what you love, get ‘er done.
- Photographer // With our short time frame we needed to find a photographer quick. You’ll need to get on this because you need to get your engagements done as soon as you can so you can give the photographer time to edit, you can find the picture(s) you like for your invite, and print them so they are ready to go for your invitations. Photographer is crucial to book, but make sure to find one that you love and can show your style through the pictures. You will look back on these pictures for the rest of your life… No pressure 😉
- Invitations // The focus should be on the step you and your fiance are taking to spend forever together but you’re are creating all these fun wedding plans anyway… So what’s a party without the people?? Get going on invitation design and guest list next, you will want to celebrate this monumental day with the ones you love and send an invite that is yours and your future husbands style.
This is just a starting point, if I added the whole list this post would be way more than any of you care to read. But before I ask what’s on your to-do list, here’s a mini list of things you shouldn’t forget to add:
//colors//cake//catering//your first apartment//flowers//bridesmaids+dresses//
//thank you’s//register//fiance’s ring//marriage license//shoes+make up+hair//
Best of luck future brides! I would love to hear what is on your wedding to do list.
Getting engaged is one of the most exciting things to ever happen. When I got engaged on September 6 I remember I COULD NOT stop smiling. It was the happiest day of my life up to that point. But a couple days later as the excitement settled and I was able to unscrew my smile, the wedding planning chaos began. I immediately purchased a notebook and right away the first couple pages were filled with “must-do” items for the wedding and all I remember thinking was “crap, how will this ever get done in time for our wedding??”
Now depending on how long your engagement is you could have plenty of time to perfect every last wedding detail. However, I had exactly 77 days until we were to be married… And along with planning chaos I needed to manage 19 credits, be a great employee at my part time job, and coordinate wedding plans with my mom who lives on the other side of the country. So if you also feel ridiculously overwhelmed with balancing your crazy life and planning your dream wedding, you are not alone. So please chime in on how you have managed to plan your wedding as I share how I have planned mine and maybe we can make life just a little easier for those future brides with a chaotic life and a short engagement entering the wedding planning journey.